In the beginning…
~1231 in Tournai (now in Belgium): The sisters welcome pilgrims ‘en route’ to Compostella. They live according to the Rule of St Augustine.
14th Century: care of the sick and destitute. The hospital chapel is consecrated to the apostle Andrew. As a result, the sisters become known as ‘the Sisters of St Andrew’.
17th Century: Reformation and Catholic Reformation. In 1611, the sisters choose monastic life, and begin to educate young women.
18th Century: 1795, the convent is closed following the French Revolution. The sisters continue an undercover community, desguised as a seamstress’ workshop.
19th Century: the congregation undergoes major restructuring. The c
The congregation then expands towards other parts of Belgium, England and Jersey (1863), Brazil (1914), Congo (1923), France (Taizé, 1966) and South Korea (2018).
Currently, we are present in 6 countries (Brazil, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Belgium, France,